Location: Bamfield Marine Sciences Centre
|Imagine having an ocean view at work every day? The Bamfield Marine Sciences Centre is searching for a team player interested in making meaningful contributions that will support life-changing exploration and discovery in coastal and marine environments.
For over 50 years the BMSC has supported year-round education and research on the west coast of Vancouver Island, British Columbia. BMSC is owned and managed by a not-for-profit organization, the Western Canadian Universities Marine Sciences Society.
The BMSC campus is on the west coast with a staff of approximately 25 people with additional staff hired seasonally. A competitive and comprehensive health and welfare benefits plan, including eligibility to join our pension plan, are currently provided to the BMSC through the University of Victoria (UVic) via an agreement the BMSC has entered as an external agency with UVic.
Under minimum supervision performs cleaning tasks to ensure that facilities are maintained with regard to safety, sanitation and appearance.
- Cleans by dusting, mopping, washing, vacuuming, polishing, brushing, disinfecting or scrubbing all surfaces of furniture, furnishings, floors, walls and other surfaces and restocks cleaning and washroom supplies.
- Washes or sweeps exterior entry ways as needed or directed.
- Cleans glass surfaces not requiring the use of scaffolds or safety devices.
- Cleans and maintains wax and polish finishes on floors, furniture and fixture surface coatings.
- Clears and cleans waste containers and disposes refuse and recyclables in marked bins or designated areas.
- Move furniture and equipment as required in performance of duties.
- Change and replenish linens, uniforms, and towels as required.
- Wash, dry and fold laundry.
- Operates all manner of hand and power tool to obtain effective performance.
- Requests and stores cleaning supplies and materials and provides routine maintenance on cleaning tools and equipment.
- Reports furniture, fixtures and other facilities in need of repair.
- Facilitate community use groups.
- Operation of housekeeping van to aid in the performance of above duties.
- Assists in maintaining security of facilities.
- Performs other assigned duties that are within area of knowledge and skills required by the job description.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES NEEDED
- Working knowledge of WHMIS legislation and WCB regulations
- Ability to maintain cooperative working relationship with staff, clients and students
- Physical capacity to carry out duties of the job description
- Able to operate related equipment
- Willing and able to work all shifts, including weekends, as required.
The position is unionized (Cupe 401) and members are entitled to benefits as defined in the Collective Agreement.
We are committed to an equitable, diverse, and inclusive campus that is accessible to all and free from harassment, bullying, and discrimination. The BMSC recognizes that diverse staff and clients benefit and enrich our workplace and the broader community. We are committed to removing barriers that have been, and continue to be, encountered by equity seeking groups, including women, Indigenous peoples, visible/racialized minorities, persons with disabilities, and LGBTQ+. We strive to recruit individuals who will further enhance our diversity and will support their professional success while they are here.
Accommodations may be available for the right candidate
Should you be interested in learning more about this unique opportunity, please forward your resume, a letter of introduction, and the names and contact information for up to three references to Dr. Sean Rogers, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time, Permanent, Seasonal
Part-time hours: 20 – 37.5 per week
Salary: $16.24 per hour