Location: Bamfield Marine Sciences Centre
The BMSC is seeking a Cooks for our kitchen, which serves university and secondary school students on field trips, many seeing the ocean for the first time. Our clients tell us how much they relish our warm and friendly dining experience after being in the field all day. Our staff repeatedly tell us how much they value the experience of seeing these students at the BMSC. Our programs and menus are developed with sustainability in mind, and we strive to offer an array of hand-crafted items using fresh, quality ingredients. Careful thought and consideration goes into our programs, and it starts with our people. The Bamfield Marine Sciences Centre operates from February 1st to December 18th.
The proposed start date of employment is immediately.
Under general supervision, is responsible for the preparation, cooking and baking of all food or bakery products (including special diets) on a shift.
Rates of Pay
Cook – Probationary $17.53 per hour / Post-Probation (after 520 hours) $18.36
First Cook (1st year apprentice) $19.19* per hour
Chef de Partie* (2nd & 3rd year apprentice) $21.52* per hour
*These rates (First Cook and Chef de partie) will be paid to a cook who qualifies by enrolling in the provincially recognized apprenticeship program (Red Seal).
• Supervises and participates in preparation, cooking, decoration and service of food on assigned shift. Anticipates and performs preliminary preparation necessary for future needs. Coordinates the apportioning of prepared food to clientele at scheduled times.
• Prepares and cooks entrees, soups, sauces, vegetables, and other foods from menu plan, adjusting quantities to conform with production requirements.
• Inspects food during and after preparation to ensure proper quantity, quality and adherence to dietary requirements.
• Operates food production equipment such as mixers, ovens, choppers, slicers, shredders, steamers, grills, grinders, steam kettles, fryers and broilers.
• Ensures proper food handling, sanitation, and safety and securing practices are maintained in kitchen, dinning rooms and storage areas.
• Cleans assigned work areas and maintains utensils, knives and equipment.
• Assists and directs kitchen helpers.
• Requisition necessary foods and supplies when needed.
Performs other assigned duties that are within area of knowledge and skills required by the job description.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Food Safe – Level 1 Certification
• Willing and able to work all shifts, including weekends, as required.
• Able to read, write and understand English and follow written and oral instructions accurately.
• Working knowledge of standard practices, methods and procedures of large volume food preparation, cooking, food handling, sanitation, safety precautions, and use of kitchen utensils, knives and equipment.
• Aptitude in maintaining cooperative working relationship with staff, clients and students
• Knowledge of good personal hygiene standards
• Be in good physical health.
The position is unionized (Cupe 401) and members are entitled to benefits as defined in the Collective Agreement.
Accommodations may be available for the right candidate.
Should you be interested in learning more about this unique opportunity, please forward your resume, a letter of introduction, and the names and contact information for three references, in confidence to: email@example.com
Only those candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted.