External (non-BMSC) Permits are required for various research and education activities that happen through BMSC. Please see a list of possible permits below for your activities while at BMSC.
Instructors: a reminder that all education activities are covered under the BMSC Education Permits including. These include: DFO Scientific License and ITC Permits, and Huu-ay-aht First Nations Heritage Investigation Permit. For access to these permits, please email The Head of Animal Care to see if your planned activities fall with in the scope, and if additional permits are required.
Researchers: a reminder that you are responsible for applying for your own permits within the deadlines.
- Required for the collection any Marine Animals (inverts or verts, intertidal or subtidal). A Collection is defined as any time an animal is harvested, whether it is kept, released after data collection, tagging, or even just counting the animal in a transect
- Allow 45 days for approval
- Required for the transfer of any marine animals (inverts or verts, intertidal or subtidal). Transfer is defined any time an animal is collected, and transferred to a different location, including transfer to BMSC flow-through seawater system.
- If you also intend to return your animals to the site of collection, you will need to indate on secotion 5d iii of the application. Pre-return, as required by the DFO, a health check on your animals must be performed by the Animal Care staff.
- Allow 60 days for approval
Here is an example of an ITC form for collection and transfer to BMSC flow-through seawater system. This should help you fill out for application successfully.
- Required for all research (including collections) taking place on Huu-ay-aht Treaty Lands. All anthropological, ethnographic, ethno-biological or archaeological study or field-work in the Huu-ay-aht First Nations territory, as well as all studies involving collections from the Huu-ay-aht First Nations territory, must be carried out under an Investigation Permit by the Huu-ay-aht First Nations
- For more information on Huu-ay-aht Lands
- Allow 30 days for approval