External (non-BMSC) Permits are required for various research and education activities that happen through BMSC. Please see a list of possible permits below for your activities while at BMSC.

Instructors: a reminder that all education activities are covered under the BMSC Education Permits including:  DFO Scientific License, DFO ITC Permits, and Huu-ay-aht First Nations Heritage Investigation Permit. For access to these permits, please email The Head of Animal Care to see if your planned activities fall with in the scope, and if additional permits are required.

Researchers: a reminder that you are responsible for applying for your own permits within the deadlines.

Fisheries and Oceans Canada Collection Permit

  • Required for the collection any marine animals (inverts or verts). A Collection is defined as any time an animal is harvested, whether it is kept, released after data collection, tagging, or even just counting the animal (if handled) in a transect
  • Please note that BMSC has no collection policy from Brady’s Beach to preserve this high traffic area
  • Allow 45 days for approval

Fisheries and Oceans Canada Introduction or Transfers (ITC) Permit

  • Required for the transfer of any marine animals (inverts or verts). A transfer is defined as an intentional movement of marine animals. This includes transfer to and from the ocean & our stations flow-through seawater system.
  • A reminder, If you intend to return your animals to the site of collection, you will need to apply for a second ITC permit. As required by the DFO, a pre-return health check on your animals must be performed by the Animal Care staff.
  • Allow 60 days for approval

Here is an example of an ITC form for collection and transfer to BMSC flow-through seawater system. This should help you fill out for application successfully.

B.C. Ministry of Environment Scientific Fish Collection Permit (MFLNRO)

  • Required for any collection of Terrestrial and Freshwater organisms
  • Allow 90 days for approval

Parks Canada Research & Collection Permit

  • Required to do research upon and/or perform collections on any Parks Canada lands

Huu-ay-aht First Nations Heritage Investigation (Research) Permit

  • Required for all research (including collections) taking place on Huu-ay-aht Treaty Lands. All anthropological, ethnographic, ethno-biological or archaeological study or field-work in the Huu-ay-aht First Nations territory, as well as all studies involving collections from the Huu-ay-aht First Nations territory, must be carried out under an Investigation Permit by the Huu-ay-aht First Nations
  • For more information on Huu-ay-aht Lands
  • Allow 30 days for approval