Maintenance Worker (Full / Part and Casual)
Location: Bamfield Marine Sciences Centre
Under general supervision carries out maintenance duties to buildings, grounds and equipment as required.
Performs basic tasks as follows:
- General – basic routine maintenance and repairs to buildings and furnishings such as adjustments to door closers, window fasteners, gutters etc.. May install lock cylinders. Fastens furniture and fixtures to walls or floors. Repairs or installs outside decks or stairs. Roof installation, repairs or maintenance. Drywall installation and repairs. Painting (exterior or interior). Flooring, installation or repairs.
- Vehicles – checks gas, oil, battery levels and tops up as required, changes wheels and performs minor repairs to non-mechanical parts. May clean vehicle inside and out. Maintains vehicle service records, delivers and collects vehicles from service / repair agency.
- Mechanical – performs basic routine checks on mechanical equipment, replacing filters and traps when needed. Services and checks fire fighting equipment. Services and checks sewage treatment plant and water systems / wells.
- Electrical – responsible for routine maintenance such as replacing light bulbs, tubes. May assist Electricians by performing helper tasks such as fastening conduit, pulling cables and checking fire alarm systems.
- Plumbing – routine maintenance tasks such as cleaning plugged toilets, floor or basin drains, adjustments to drinking fountains, shower heads, toilet / urinal tanks. Installation and minor fabrication.
- Grounds – responsible for all exterior areas including lawn maintenance, brush cutting and debris removal.
- Assists in fabrication of minor scientific equipment such as aquaria and associated items.
- Loads, drives and unloads vehicles or boats. Moves varied materials to and from and throughout site.
- Maintains road surfaces and walkways on station, resurfacing of same, snow removal and power washing where and when required.
- Cleans and tidies up shop, yards and equipment areas.
- Maintains safe working conditions.
- Performs other assigned duties that are within area of knowledge and skills required by the job description.
Skills and abilities needed
- Able to follow accurately, written and oral instructions.
- Working knowledge of building materials and maintenance requirements of various types of equipment.
- Ability to maintain effective relationships with staff, clients and students.
- Good physical health, sufficient strength, stamina and coordination to perform a variety of routine heavy manual and machine operation tasks continuously under all weather conditions. High degree of manual dexterity.
- Valid British Columbia driver’s license. (Driver’s abstract required)
- Valid Pleasure Craft Operators Card.
- Willingness and ability to work any recognized shift, including weekends.
Submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org
NOTICE OF VACANCY
- Job Title: Maintenance Worker
- Term: Permanent Full Time
- Hours: Full-time – 37.5 hours per week
- Rate of Pay: $ 22.00 per hour
- Expected Start Date: As soon as possible.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Applicants must be able to demonstrate that they possess the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform duties as outlined in the attached job description.
Requirements: Valid BC Driver’s license