Kelp Rescue Initiative Operations Manager
Open Position: Kelp Rescue Initiative Operations Manager
The Kelp Rescue Initiative seeks a full-time Operations Manager to lead and support the day-to-day provision of its operations and infrastructure, as the organization expands its kelp restoration experiments, nurseries, and outplanting across multiple facilities and field sites.
Start date: Negotiable but ideally October 2023
Salary: $65,000 – $70,000 (commensurate with experience), plus benefits
Type of Position: Continuing Full-Time
Reporting Relationship: Kelp Rescue Initiative Director
Location: Bamfield Marine Sciences Centre (BMSC), Bamfield, BC, with periods of fieldwork and travel to other locations in coastal British Columbia as required.
Application deadline: September 5, 2023
Organization and Position Overview: The Kelp Rescue Initiative was founded at the Bamfield Marine Sciences Centre to develop science-based solutions for kelp forest decline in British Columbia. Funded through donations and grants, supported by partnerships with scientists at the University of Victoria and UBC, and working with provincial, Federal, and First Nations governments, conservation organizations and community groups, KRI aims to understand the ecological and physical drivers of kelp forest decline and to develop scalable restoration solutions. This work is urgent, since kelp forests have already disappeared from some parts of BC’s coasts, and are at further risk due to ocean warming. Since 2021, KRI has initiated an ambitious scientific research program, encompassing kelp forest ecology, genomics, and restoration experiments. Our main study sites are on Vancouver Island – including Barkley Sound (at the BMSC), the north Salish Sea and the Broughton Archipelago – and the adjacent mainland (Burrard Inlet and the Pacific Science Enterprise Centre (PSEC)).
This new KRI position presents an exciting opportunity for an experienced operations manager to support KRI as it expands its nurseries and restoration work in the coming years. The KRI Operations Manager will have a demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and priorities with varied timelines and deliverables, while working with staff, students, rights holders, and partners. The position is ideally suited to an individual who thrives in a fast-paced team and is committed to rigorous, high-quality work, and who can quickly build new knowledge and skills to keep pace with our growing projects, infrastructure, and partnerships – all in service of kelp forest science and scalable restoration.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work productively with a growing team of researchers, technicians, and project staff to carry out KRI’s core mandate, helping to ensure that KRI research and restoration projects are executed to a high standard and on-track to meet project and funding deadlines & deliverables;
- Supervise and train staff members, and participate in performance management reviews;
- Lead the development, installation and renovation of KRI kelp nurseries, lab facilities, and field related infrastructure;
- Assist with kelp culture operational and innovation strategies to expand KRI’s capacity to produce large volumes of kelp required for scaled restoration efforts;
- Coordinating logistics across restoration and field work sites, including staff, equipment, safety, and operational planning;
- Assist with kelp culturing (including green gravel and direct seeding efforts), restoration and urchin control field and lab experiments, kelp outplanting, and other field work and restoration efforts;
- Develop, maintain and regularly update operational plans, track budgets, and monitor schedules (e.g., GANTT charts) for research and restoration projects;
- Manage the procurement, operation and maintenance of KRI related equipment, ensuring equipment is serviced and operational;
- Manage the procurement of lab and field related supplies and consumables;
- Assist in the reconciliation of invoices and purchases according to BMSC procedures;
- Assist in the development of dive, safety, and boating plans for fieldwork and ensure they are submitted and amended in a timely manner for approval;
- Assist with applications for scientific, collection and transfer permits, their maintenance and compliance with them, as required by government regulations;
- Work productively with BMSC teams to help manage operations and financial reporting, and to ensure compliance with safety and regulatory policies;
- Assist with other KRI tasks as needed; and
- Report to, and liaise closely with, the KRI Director and the Oversight Committee.
- Masters degree in Biology, Environmental Science or related discipline, or a BSc in a similar field with 3-5 years experience managing complex scientific projects
- Experience working in biological laboratories, including general lab skills and equipment maintenance
- Experience and knowledge with scientific diving (CAUS certification preferred)
- Experience and knowledge about safe boating practices (SVOP certification preferred)
- Experience with project management, including demonstrated ability to multi-task, including excellent time management and prioritization skills, and the ability to balance competing demands to ensure KRI operations proceed on required timelines
- Experience with project management software and related productivity tools for managing operations
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, while liaising closely with other team members to ensure overall project needs are being met
- Experience working in highly collaborative, multi-institutional research programs
- Ability to work flexible schedule when required, including weekends, early mornings, and evenings
- Valid Province of BC driver’s license required.
- Satisfactory Criminal Records Check and Vulnerable Sector Screening required
- Knowledge of kelp biology and ecology, and experience with kelp culturing and nurseries;
- Knowledge and experience of involving First Nations in scientific research
- Experience working at research stations and remote field sites
To Apply, please submit the following in a single PDF document, with your last name in the file name, via email to email@example.com with “KRI Operations Manager” in the email subject line:
- a cover letter explaining your motivation for applying, and qualifications, for this position;
- your CV
- names and contact details for three references;
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion: We value equity and diversity, and strongly encourage
applicants from underrepresented groups to apply