Location: Bamfield Marine Sciences Centre
The BMSC is seeking a Head Cook for our kitchen, which serves university and secondary school students on field trips, many seeing the ocean for the first time. Our clients tell us how much they relish our warm and friendly dining experience after being in the field all day. Our staff repeatedly tell us how much they value the experience of seeing these students at the BMSC. Our programs and menus are developed with sustainability in mind, and we strive to offer an array of hand-crafted items using fresh, quality ingredients. Careful thought and consideration goes into our programs, and it starts with our people. The Bamfield Marine Sciences Centre operates from February 1st to December 18th.
The proposed start date of employment is immediately.
The Head Cook is responsible for the day to day supervision of kitchen staff, preparation and serving of meals. Assists in menu planning, ordering of food, food equipment and supplies, and inventory control.
RATE OF PAY
Probationary $24.05 per hour / Post-Probation (after 520 hours) $25.37 per hour
• Provides direction and guidance to kitchen staff in the day to day performance of their duties
• Participates in the training and orientation of new members of kitchen staff
• Assists the Kitchen Manager with scheduling of kitchen staff and staffing decisions
• In the absence of the Kitchen Manager responds to daily issues and questions, referring issues to the Managing Director (or delegate) or Director as appropriate
• Monitors food and supply inventory and prepares weekly and daily purchase lists for review with the Kitchen Manager
• Assists the Kitchen Manager in menu planning including special diets
• Participates in the preparation, cooking, baking decoration and service of food on assigned shift
• Responsible for ensuring meals are properly prepared, served and delivered on assigned shifts
• Operates food production equipment
• Ensures kitchen staff are working safely following appropriate safety procedures
• Ensures that safe food handling and hygiene practices are being followed by all kitchen staff
• Ensures kitchen is clean and hygienic at all times
• Performs other assigned duties that are within area of knowledge and skills required by the job description
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Foodsafe Level 2 (minimum), Red Seal certification preferred
• Three years experience cooking in an institutional setting or equivalent
• Front line supervisory skills, including a demonstrated ability to coach and support staff
• Previous experience determining and maintaining required food inventory levels
• Capacity to communicate effectively with kitchen staff, staff of other departments, clients, and suppliers
• Facility to assist in the planning and the production of quality meals within budget limits
• Ability to work with or without supervision
• Willing and able to work all shifts including weekends as required.
The position is unionized (Cupe 401) and members are entitled to benefits as defined in the Collective Agreement.
Accommodations may be available for the right candidate.
Should you be interested in learning more about this unique opportunity, please forward your resume, a letter of introduction, and the names and contact information for three references, in confidence to: email@example.com
Only those candidates selected for further consideration will be contacted.