Assistant Kelp Culture Technician
Start date: Mid-September 2023, or as soon as possible thereafter.
Salary: $20-24 per hour (commensurate with experience) plus benefits
Type of Position: Full-time, term position. One year position with possible opportunity for renewal beyond the initial term pending funding availability and satisfactory job performance.
Reporting Relationship: Bamfield Marine Sciences Centre (BMSC) Director
Location: Bamfield Marine Sciences Centre, Bamfield, B.C.
Application deadline: September 5, 2023
The Kelp Rescue Initiative seeks an Assistant Kelp Culture Technician to join our team. Kelp forests, which are important components of coastal marine ecosystems, are declining in British Columbia. The Kelp Rescue Initiative was launched at the BMSC in 2021 to pursue collaborative science-backed solutions to strengthen and restore kelp forests. The ideal candidate for this role is organized and self-motivated, can solve problems independently and with others, is a good communicator, excellent team player, and is comfortable and careful in the lab and in the field. The successful applicant will work as part of a community of scientists, First Nations partners, and other collaborators. This position is based in the remote community of Bamfield, BC. Rental housing (room in shared accommodation) is available on site.
- Assist with lab and field work, both independently and with others:
- Maintain kelp cultures at the BMSC (media preparation, water changes, etc.).
- Perform routine laboratory procedures (pipetting, sterilizing, filtering, practicing sterile techniques, basic microscopy).
- Assist with kelp collection, outplanting and site monitoring at field sites (boat-based).
- Assist with drafting project-specific communications
- Carefully organize and manage project data
- Keep careful records, including maintaining a detailed laboratory notebook, and provide regular progress reports to supervisor and manager
- Order supplies and equipment
- Maintain scientific equipment and field gear
- Other duties as required to assist with advancing KRI work
- BSc. in Biology, Environmental Science, Oceanography, or related discipline
- May consider alternate combinations of education and relevant work experience
- Demonstrated organization, coordination, and project management skills
- Experience with standard laboratory procedures such as preparation of reagents, microscopic assessment of cell cultures, and sterile technique
- Proficient in standard use of computers (email, word processing, spreadsheets, Zoom, Slack).
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and to solve problems with limited supervision in laboratory (and to some extent fieldwork) settings
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as part of a team, to take direction and receive and adjust to constructive feedback.
- Experience working in geographically dispersed teams and/or collaborative environments.
- Commitment to safety in both the laboratory and field
- Ability to work on a flexible schedule when required, including some early mornings, weekends, and evenings.
- Valid Province of BC driver’s licence
- Satisfactory Criminal Records Check and Vulnerable Sector Screening.
- Strong organizational and time management skills with the ability to carry out varied tasks, and to prioritize duties amidst competing interests.
- Ability to work under difficult weather conditions for extended periods.
- Strong communication skills, including science interpretation for diverse audiences.
- Experience with data management (excel, R) an asset.
- Cross-cultural sensitivity; experience working in a First Nations community and/or organization is an asset.
- Experience with social media (e.g. Twitter, Instagram) an asset.
- Scientific diving and CAUS certification an asset.
Applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with British Columbia legislation and regulations.
To Apply, please submit the following in a single PDF document, with your last name in the file name, via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Assistant Kelp Culture Technician Applicant” in the email subject line:
- a cover letter explaining your motivation for applying, and qualifications, for this position;
- your CV
- names and contact details for three references;
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion: We value equity and diversity, and strongly encourage applicants from underrepresented groups to apply,
Review of applications will begin on September 5th, 2023; the position will remain open until filled.